Subject: Overheard at SF Opera
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Jul 2017 05:37:52 -0700

SF first saw Janacek's "Katya Kabanova" in 1977; brilliant production with Söderström magnificent in title role. In the final act, during the storm, she breaks down and confesses her adultery to the the whole town. An elderly woman behind me turned to her companion and said "I think they suspect."

In 1982, during prolonged ovation after the "Mira, o Norma" duet (Sutherland and Horne), a younger girl asked her companion (this was before supertitles) what that was all about. He answered, "I think in the slow sad part they agreed they both needed a strict diet but then, for the happy upbeat part, decided to have one last hot fudge sundae together."

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad