Subject: Re: Overheard at Otello screening
From: David Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:39:42 +0200

 In "Opera" a while back they had a series in which opera professionals,
 singers, stage directors, conductors, etc. were asked about the first
 opera they ever saw. One lady, I don't remember who, said her parents
 took her to see Carmen at Covent Garden. She was about 7, and her
 sister, 9, was also there. The parents were really impressed with the
 lady with the long blonde braids, (evidently a young Joan Sutherland.)
 But she was much more impressed with that jolly girl who laughed and
 danced, and was so brightly dressed. Then at the end she was killed,
 and she was absolutely stunned. But then she came out for a bow, and
 she said to her sister "How can that be? She's dead!" and her sister
 said "You're so STUPID! That's the lady who's singing the next
 performance!"

A few years ago we had this discussion before, and someone said he was
at a performance of Faust at the Met with Jan Peerce, who was over 60.
In the intermission he heard a lady say to another lady "That's the
first time I've seen an old man change into an old man!"