Subject: Sara Menkes- biography and discography
From: Juan Dzazopulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Jul 2017 21:08:56 -0400

Hi, David:

Perhaps you will be interested to know that a fictionated biography
(or a novel) was written:

"When the cheers died down" by Count of Torriggia.  Anglo-Italian
Publication Ltd. London, 1952.

I never had a copy of this book, and obtained the information from the
magazine "Music and Musicians" (England), many, many years ago.

Discography:  Sara Menkes recorded, also in London (1951) and for His
Master's Voice, two 78 rpm records (four sides), from Forza del
destino, Trovatore and Aida. Only the two Aida sides were published,
but as far as I know they were never transferred to LP (let alone
CDs). Though I have been collecting records for more than 60 years, I
never saw a sample of the published record. These are the details:

His Master's Voice (London) Recorded 8 January 1951

MX 2EA 15289 La forza del destino: Pace, pace mio Dio
      Unpublished
MX 2EA 15290 Il Trovatore: D'amor sull'ali rosee
           Unpublished
MX 2EA 15291 Aida: Ritorna vincitor (part 1)                C 4078
MX 2EA 15292 Aida: Ritorna vincior (part 2)                 C  4078
    All with Philharmonia orchestra conducted by Warwick Braithwaite
-------

I am writing a sort of chronology draft for this soprano and have
found many surprises. Unfortunately, I have been unable to obtain the
details of her Scala debut (probably 1950-1951).I need name of the
opera, cast and dates.   If someone has this information, I will be
grateful if it can be sent to my personal email.   Thank you.

Juan