Subject: Re: Centenary biographies of Lotte Lehmann
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Jul 2017 09:29:14 -0400

I have not read the Glass biography but I believe it falls more into the
category of "official" biography--a category that suggests both sins and
merits. He (and his wife) studied and worked with Lehmann, so I imagine it
is probably more personal than the Jefferson book.

Jefferson's book is less notable (and controversial) than his biography of
Schwarzkopf; it covers Lehmann's life and performances. One of its merits is
the thorough discography--I don't know if Glass includes one, but if not,
that difference might be enough to recommend the Jefferson volume.

Personally, I find Lehmann's own writings wonderful, particularly her book
on Strauss singing.