Subject: Re: Overheard at Otello screening
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:46:06 -0400

"So Verdi is Verdi but the Royal Opera is not the Met, right?"

"No, the Royal Opera IS the Met.  It just goes by another name in London to accommodate
Queen Elizabeth's sensibilities.

"And Verdi is not Verdi.  It just sounds like him.  Also, Otello is actually Rigoletto in blackface.
And just so you know, in the last act, it looks like Otello is strangling Desdemona, but it's
really Emilia dressed up as Otello.  Do you read much Agatha Christie?  I know opera seems
confusing, but you have to keep these things straight."

"Well, thanks for straightening that out for me."

MDW