Subject: Re: Ivan Petroff, Bulgarian-born baritone
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Jul 2017 23:49:18 -0400

Many thanks, David. These are fascinating details. I had no idea that he
was a Bulgarian but, as I gather now, he was also relatively young when he
emigrated to Italy and then USA. One lister also sent me the Remington page
profiling him that confirms some of the biographical info you found. It
doesn't mention his Onegin, but I can imagine that he sang it with W. Horne
(about whom I'm afraid I don't know much) as Lenski if it was in the NYCO's
repertoire while he was there.

I was impatient to listen to the excerpts from his RIGOLETTO that you (and
a couple of listers offlist) mention (it's on Spotify!) and, while
interpretatively not nearly as interesting as his Macbeth, it demonstrated
again the natural beauty and richness of his voice. And now I see that he
was even in his 50s by then!

My thanks also to all those who responded privately and to Graeme Wright
for his onlist response as well. It was good to know that some of our
listers are familiar with his name and a couple of them still have those
old Remington LPs.

Best, Vesna.