Subject: Another (obscure?) singer - Ivan Petrov (Petroff), baritone
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:38:40 -0400

David's query about Sara Menkes reminded me of a singer I wanted to ask
about for some time. I heard him on the MACBETH live recording from
Florence, early 1950s, with Varnay's Lady M. and Gui conducting. His
Macbeth was fabulous and deservedly got the greatest ovations after
'Pieta'. He can easily be confused with another Ivan Petrov, who was a
Russian bass, but it's not the same person. His is clearly a baritone
voice, lyric in color and sounding comfortable in both the lower and upper
ranges. Neither Grove nor Kutsch-Riemens lists him (they do include the
Russian bass). Judging from this recording only, he had to be a marvelous
singer and I wonder why he didn't have a major career to be better known
today. Anyone knows more about this baritone? Are there any other
recordings with him to recommend?

Thank you,
Vesna