Subject: Re: Sara Menkes
From: "Brian Morris (London, England)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:11:59 +0100

Sara Menkes certainly sang at Covent Garden, as she substituted (for either
Hilde Zadek or Welitsch) on the 22 of December 1950 in 'Tosca'.

I was at that performance, and my hazy recollection was that she was
perfectly OK in the part, but nothing special. At that time, it was the
policy of Covent Garden that all operas should be sung in English (I saw
Flagstad sing Fidelio in English there!) and my main memory of the Menkes
(she sang in Italian) night is that Marco Rothmuller sang Scarpia and that
he sang English for scenes that did not involve Tosca, but switched to
Italian in his exchanges with Tosca.

Ah, those were the days!

Regards to all

Brian Morris (London, England)