Subject: Re: Sara Menkes
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:57:49 -0400

David

She was born in Vienna in 1910. She studied with Giannina Russ in
Milan and debuted in Italy (not defined) at the age of 17. She
sang in Buenos Aires from 1930 forward, including William Tell
(Matilde) with Lauri Volpi. She sang concerts including in London.
and appeared at the Rome Opera.

Her only known recordings are scenes from Aida for HMV.

She died in Buenos Aires in 1980.

This, from Kutsch-Riemens.

Bob

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 04:14:57 +0000, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I asked Roberta Prada about an Argentine soprano about whom I've wondered. She had
success with Verdi roles in San Fran ( both Leonoras opposite the likes of Bjoerling, Baum,
Turner, Elmo, Warren Weede and Pinza) and New Orleans ( Amelia in BALLO) and also sang
Donna Anna at the Cincinnati Zoo Opera, all about 1948-50.
>  A Hurok publicity poster (do a search for "1948 Booking Ad Sara Menkes Soprano South
American Opera Star)
>claims her as a Colon star, and also mentions la Scala. Their database doesn't show her,
but it doesn't extend before 1950, and the 40s seem to have been her active period.
>Roberta found that she's not listed in Enzo Valenti Ferro's reference book about the Colon
1900-82

> I recall an old OPERA NEWS feature when she was in San Fran that made it clear she
was Jewish. Maybe Menkes was her married name and she had sung under another name at
the Colon?