Subject: Re: Sara Menkes
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:55:16 +0000

Indeed-- thanks, Lane. I had checked Vienna but not the ROH, where Menkes sang Tosca in 1950 opposite Walter Midgeley and Marko Rothmueller-- in English, with Geraint Evans as the Sacristan .  She also sang a Verdi REQUIEM, replacing Callas! in the Festival Hall in 1953.

Her dates are given as 1910-1980, and there's a reference to her as a "Viennese" soprano. Perhaps she immigrated to Argentina early on?
In Santiago she sang Desdemona to Vinay's Otello.
In Catania she sang Aida with Irma Kolasanti.

And Roberta, online there are citations from the book you mentioned, "Las voces: Teatro Colón, 1908-1982":
 Sara Menkes sang in 1938's  L'Incoronazione di Poppea ( with Spani, perhaps as Ottavia to Menkes' Drusilla?)  and also sang FORZA in 1947 opposite Gigli. There may well be more. Is she not in the index?
Obviously, she had some substance as a performer; I wonder if she vanished without a recorded trace?

Best- David