Subject: Rheingold at BSO last night
From: Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:31:41 -0400

responding to Peggy's comment, Rheingold was indeed wonderful and more! I was there last night and though there was no stage direction credited  in the program, all the singers were actually performing the roles, moving about the front of the stage, and their portrayals were superb. Alberich (jochen Schmeckenbrecher)  in particular was sensational and Kim Begley as Loge stole the show. Of course there is only one Stephanie Blythe, and we were so lucky to have her in the cast (as a replacement!)
I was only wishing they had videotaped the performance, and could just happily watch concert performances of all operas since they are much more enjoyable than some self absorbed director's "vision" for the piece.
Best
Kati