Subject: Price as Minnie
From: Ronald Seeliger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:11:08 -0500

I was present at the performance of La Fanciulla del West that Price sang in Dallas.  She was in fine voice and had no problems with the role nor her singing. The problem was Richard Tucker. He had no high voice/notes.  He told me after the performance that he has been out a bit earlier in the day. It was a very hot humid afternoon and he said that coming into the very air conditioned dressing room had affected his voice.  He had no high notes.   I was very familiar  with a recording of the opera and very anxious to hear what Tucker would do with the high passages. He was smart enough to lower them by at least an octave when he realized the voice was not responding.  Tucker was alway friendly backstage and he acknowledged this problem and said the humidity and heat had effected him. Otherwise it was an excellent performance with Price blazing through the role. Colzani was truly superb; I think he is the best of a dozen or so Sheriffs I have seen.

Ron Seeliger