Subject: Re: Leontyne Price online?
From: Ghozel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:35:12 -0400

While everyone is entitled to his opinion, it should be based on facts.  It is very odd that, since Price's phrasing was apparently terrible as Walter contends, that the Italian critics themselves said Verdi would have found Price the perfect Aida.  I guess the Italians don't understand Italianate phrasing as well as Walter does. Plus her voice was never small.  It was heard well throughout the MET.  Her singing alongside loud voices like Corelli's never suffered in comparison.

In fact, I sat in the front row of a concert she gave after retirement from the operatic stage.  Her voice had so much heft that it kept hitting my eardrum to the point it started to hurt.  No way was that voice small.

I also need to dispel the "Fanciulla killed Price's voice" nonsense.  Looking at the reviews for her Fanciulla debut, she was nothing short of glorious in the role.  In fact, after her vocal rest, she returned to sing it at the MET and on tour.

It was a moment of deep embarrassment for her to have vocal problems in the middle of a performance, so she no longer kept that role in her repertoire.  She even said it was emotionally difficult to record an aria from it for her Puccin Heroines album.

I'll admit Minnie's not a natural fit, but the vocal issues she had were more likely due to the jam-packed schedule of tough roles and concerts she had leading up to the Fanciullas.  That schedule would have strained anyone.

Either way, after her vocal rest, she came back with a much more focused voice and repertoire.  She carefully chose what she would keep and what she would stop performing.  Sadly she never attempted roles she would have been wonderous in-- Desdemona, Elsa, Elisabetta in Don Carlo.  I don't think they fit her persona temperamentally but fit vocally.  Recordings, instead of performances, could have displayed her in these roles. She sings a fine Salome final scene on records, for example, but would have looked silly on stage.

She made sense in regal roles because that's what she naturally displayed.