Subject: Re: OPERACAST IS GONE?
From: Geoffrey Riggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:03:54 -0400

I'm very sorry to have to report all this........

Our Operacast host, Ready Hosting, whom we pay to maintain our footprint,
made a routine scan last night of Operacast and took it off line because the
scan revealed a whole host of suspicious files that they suspected of being
malware.  They placed a copy of the scan at our disposal in the Stats folder
of our actual web site.  The web site is still fully up and intact but no
longer available to the general public, only to us through our ftp entree
via our Dreamweaver ap.
The good news is that none of the bad files are files used by the general
public at all, they are all quite small, totally unfamiliar to us and were
never uploaded by us in any form.  That means all our legit files are clean.

The bad news is there are over 12,000 of these bad files!  Ready Hosting has
informed us that unless and until all these bad files -- and they are in
multiple different folders! -- are removed, they will not restore public
access.  I asked them why they couldn't remove the bad files where they are.
 They essentially said it's "now out of our hands", which isn't entirely
clear to me, I admit, but maybe I'm missing something.

Clearly, the removal of 12,000, however small, files cannot be done in a
day, let alone an hour from now, when the chief offerings for today start.
We have already made a very small dent in deleting the bad files.  But I
don't see any possibility of regular Operacast access for the rest of the
weekend, at the very least.

If some of you definitely have up the listings for today, the 15th, you're
very, very lucky!  Evidently, your browser cached the page before it went
off line!  Just be sure to keep that tab open and NOT to refresh the page,
or you'll lose access entirely!

Our regrets for this unfortunate development,

Geoffrey Riggs