Subject: Re: Film and Opera
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:39:10 -0500

The "If I Only Had a Brain" should, to me, also apply to Leonora di Vargas.  She surely knows that her brother, Don Carlo, is an out-of-control maniac. So why does she rush to him after he's fatally wounded by Don Alvaro only to meet her own demise?  Also, her taste in real estate should also be called in question.  She decides to live in a cave for all that time surrounded by only candlelight, the bugs, and God knows what other vermin that must be living in that cave with her?
    She sings gorgeous music to be sure, but she makes some very strange life decisions!  Of course it you have a truly great soprano singing the role, the nonsense means nothing.
And what's up with Santuzza and HER big mouth???  And WHY don't Nedda and Silvio simply run away together to parts unknown --------- and leave Canio and his whole traveling freakshow?