Subject: Re: Cetra CD reissues. Some more.
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:14:20 -0700

I'll need to check these out in their Warner versions.

In the LP era it was difficult; none of these recordings would be on an audiophile list but this was made worse by Italian pressings that seemed made of sandpaper. Then Everest, a label once known for true audiophile quality, fell into bad hands and released miserable "rechanneled for stereo" versions. The only choice, if you could find them, was the German pressings made by DGG.

I sought those out for singers like Pagluighi and Carteri but, for me, the true glory was Taddei.  To me he represented the "reference" Italian and, particularly, Verdi baritone. Voice and artistry, sound and interpretation, Stimme und Kunst.

He was also one of the few Italian singers of that generation who could also sing Mozart with style and authority. I find his Leporello and Figaro for Giulini superb.

I love his Scarpia for Karajan and possibly even more on the quite beautifully recorded (mono) Philips 1957 Naples version (I bought it on the Columbia label) conducted by Serafin. Not a favorite set overall because Stella, in good form, still isn't on my Tosca hot list and the tenor is Poggi, but Taddei's Scarpia is magnificent.

With all great respect to Gobbi, Taddei is the sound I find myself always yearning for in a Scarpia. Fat, rich, both menacing and beautiful in the way he pours that liquid black gold into the contours and angles of Puccini's music.

This was the role in which I finally saw him live in 1978 in San Francisco (with Caballé - out to prove that she hadn't lost her Cs by honking them Nilsson style - and Pavarotti). One performance was particularly and, for me, unexpectedly exciting when Gwyneth Jones took over the title role on one of her unpredictable great nights and entered in Act 1 looking so lovely and winsome that one could see normally bored Pavarotti do a double take.

One question for the experts here: did Taddei never take on De Luna? I'd love to hear how he tackled some of the major challenges in "Il balen del suo sorriso" but have been able to find neither hide nor hair.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone