Subject: Casta Lina
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:15:53 -0400

Thanks to Don Kane for alerting me to Lina Pagliughi's "Casta Diva" as a
bonus track on Gala's "La Figlia di Madama Angot."

While its no surprise that her "Younger than Springtime" timbre bears no
resemblance to the mature, complex character of Bellini's Druid priestess,
it was still a delightful confirmation  that she could fill out and sculpt
this particular aria in her own distinctive and completely satisfying way.

Maybe the words "pure and clear"  do her scant justice, but that is how she
seems to me .  Of course she would be completely at sea attempting "In mia
man..." not to mention "Dormono entrambi..." but as an isolated piece of
music making I am glad to now know her version of " Casta Diva (alas, no
cabaletta...)."

The "Gala" transcription is bizarre. in the context of their poor
documentation I'm guessing this comes from circa 1934.   I have pre
1910 acoustic recordings that have a better orchestral presence than this -
but the voice has been boosted and is very much front and center. In other
words, despite the orchestral mud, what Pagliughi can do with this music
comes through loud and clear.

I was hoping to attach a YouTube cut of this, but none exists.  Does anyone
know of alternative versions besides the "Gala?"  It would be well worth
seeking out - especially if the cabaletta were attached...

Steve