Subject: Divine Lohengrin DVD
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 19:55:26 -0400

LOHENGRIN
Dear everyone,
  I may have been kidding when I declared I would unfriend anyone who did
not buy the Dresden Lohengrin, but I had not yet received it. Now I heard
it....but you can still be my friend, even if you do not buy it...but you
SHOULD!!!

 Let me tell you, I was just bathed in tears at the third act, and I will
now review a set that MUST win a prize, one of the greatest performances in
my memory.

  The set is in a hall rather than on the banks of the river, but no
matter...it is gorgeous, and a pleasure to behold a "traditional" non-rat show.

  I am not ever qualified to judge conducting, but I am sure,knowing his
reputation, that Thielemann was magnificent, and the knowledgeable Dresden
audience cheers him like mad.

Every single member of the cast was no less than magnificent, including the
darling blond kid who was Gottfried at the end....and Netrebko brought him
out at the call.

I discovered Tomasz Konieczny in an Arabella and was thrilled, and his
terribly grueling Telramund was a tour-de-force. Georg Zeppenfeld follows
the great tradition of German basses..marvelous!

I discovered Evelyn Herlitzius here, and went to Amazon,only to find I did
not have her Isolde or Elektra...Where have I been? She is a superb soprano
and thrilled the audience, especially after that impossible last scene.(I
did miss the Leonie Geschrei, but I will take it.)

One cannot totally judge the glory of the Netrebko voice unless you are in
the theatre, but it is one of the world's greatest, and she is incredibly
involved histrionically. One ot two top notes are a bit driven, but in
general she was superb.

 Did I forget someone? Oh yeah.... BATHED IN TEARS at the "In fernem Land."
Piotr continues to exert that magical affect on me, with the gorgeous tone,
the ease of vocal production, the marvelous stage presence, and overall one
of the greatest artists in my long memory.

 GELB!!! Bring them all here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

   Oh..I forgot..what a great work..and the choral passages are amazing. You
just sit there and feel you are in another (glorious) world.

  So...will you look at Youtube clips and buy the thing
immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!