Subject: Re: RIP Jon Vickers, 7/11/2017
From: daaaac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:54:29 -0400

I saw Vickers 3 times, all of which weren’t official performances.  A dress rehearsal Samson with Horne (I remember seeing her briefly leave the view of the audience during her duet with Samson), a Peter Grimes dress rehearsal and a rehearsal of the Philadelphiaa Orchestra, Mann Music Center for an act 2 Tristan with Vintzing, Dunn and Plishka.  I’ll never for forget watching Vickers walk onstage (not through but in front of the orchestra) in slacks, short sleeve white shirt, puts his hands in his pockets and relaxed.  He then let out with a roar with his first “Isolde!”.

I’ve spoken often and over many years since, this bit of knowledge about this concert.  Ute Vintzing was replacing Leontyne Price.  I think the year was in the late 1970s.  Maybe early 1980s.

Donald