Subject: Re: RIP Jon Vickers, 7/11/2017
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:18:26 -0400

Vickers remains one of the most intense, moving, distinctive artists I've
experienced in 40+ years of opera going. "Incomparable" comes to mind if I
try to think of his equal today.  Given some of the roles he did sing,
Herod, Nero, the incestuous Siegmund  I do wonder why his spiritual
sensibilities were so dainty when it came to Tannhauser - who unlike some
of the others was at least "redeemed" in the end.  It might be that his
technical doubts  of getting through it  (age?  the fear of taking on a new
role later in his career?) gave birth to the religious conviction that
caused him to cancel?  I'm not at all religious, but have to admit it does
come in handy for these sorts of things...