Subject: Re: Anna Moffo - Addenda
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:12:32 -0700

Anna Moffo was in her prime an exquisite singer.  Incredibly musical with a
gorgeous tone that caressed the vocal line and just enough edge on top to
be exciting.  The shimmer in the voice always reminded me of a slightly
more lyrical Leontyne Price.  I remember the breakdown Lucia and listened
in horror to what was going on on stage.  She didn't deserve this.  I still
don't know what happened.  She had good schooling (with Eufemia Gregory aka
Dusolina Giannini's sister - so in effect, she was a descendant of the
Garcia School) at Curtis, seemingly good technique and of course that
gorgeous sound allied to a superior musicianship.  While it lasted, she was
as good as any lyric soprano I have ever heard and then there was the
presence itself, tall and beautiful.  A most stunning figure on stage.  Off
stage, she was sweet and very down to earth.  I remember one Met Gala where
she and her husband (Sarnoff) were seated next to me and my mother.  Imelda
Marcos was a few rows in front of us.  My mother and Moffo got into a
really hysterical conversation about Imelda and her shoe closet.  I used to
run into her occasionally at the Licia Albanese Puccini Foundation concerts
and dinners.  She was delightful.  I am glad that when I was very young, I
had enough chances to hear her before the voice collapsed.

One last thing, she went to Zinka Milanov for advice and help and Milanov
told her it was time - stop singing.  She said she had a wonderful husband,
a good marriage, and more security (money) then she would ever need.  Step
back, enjoy life and the memories of her career.  It was difficult for her
to do this.

Donald