Subject: Re: Lina Pagliughi
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:00:55 -0400

I talked to a guy on Pinterest who is Lina Pagliughi's great-great nephew or something like that. He's a working class guy who lives in Pennsylvania.  His name is Brian Pagliughi. He actually contacted me when he saw my pinterest board, Opera Singers of the Past.

Let's not forget her Lucia recording. It's cut, and in mono sound, but I appreciate her ornamentation in Regnava nel silenzio, giving the character a youthful gaiety or perhaps naivete.

The notes in alt sound actually big in size, perhaps not Sutherland-size, and maybe the recording is not a totally accurate recording of her voice.

I actually think she's better in lyric roles that require coloratura, not roles primarily coloratura (I am thinking of roles like Lakme). She did claim that Mimi was too heavy for her, but apparently Violetta suited her very well.

Scott Grunow