Subject: Re: Rondine, Moffo and
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:34:13 +0000

A few year ago I read the review of Moffo's debut in Traviata in the Met Annals. What surprised me was that the reviewer compared her Violetta to Victoia d La's that same year. To his ears, Victoria was vocally superior. I only saw Moffo a few times at the Met and was somewhat disappointed by the sound of her voice, live. There seemed to be a sort of cloud over her sound, except when she sang forte in the upper register. She sounded great on the final note of the Gilda-Duke duet, with Bergonzi. There was another Rigoletto performance when, all of a sudden, Gianna D'Angelo's voice went off track and never recovered. Bergonzi was the Duke that night too. I was not at that performance, but read about it in a newspaper review.