Subject: Rondine, Moffo and
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:39:53 -0400

I like all of the performances of Rondine that I know -
Moffo, Barioni - The Alagnas ( when they were) and
Te Kanawa, Domingo. The women are uniformly fine and the
men are all at least ok, though I find Domingo  more ok than
the others. The opera has been well served in the studio!

Max, Anna Moffo was a sensation in the mid to late fifties,
and her Mozart and other EMI recordings were thought
by most to be revelations. Her early RCA Butterfly with Valletti
is stiff recorded competition for an opera that has had a huge
number of excellent studio performancs.

I saw her Violetta during her debut season at the Met, and in the
immediate years that followed, Marguerite in Faust, Manon
and Lucia, all of which were fine but, excepting Lucia, delivered less
than expected. The heroines in Hoffman were a disappointment
and the New Met's new production of Traviata was no better
than ordinary. By the time of the infamous Lucia broadcast of 69
it was over, and neither her voice or her reputation ever recovered.
No one knows for sure why it happened, but it was stunning. If
the 66 Traviata was ordinary, by 1969 her delivery was anythig but.

Promise unfulfilled is an understatement!

Bob