Subject: Re: La Rondine CD
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:11:27 -0400

The Moffo "Rondine" is excellent, one of her best recordings.  Her smoky, sexy lyric soprano is
perfect for the part and the voice had not yet started to come apart.  Her "Sogno di Doretta"
is every bit the equal of Leontyne Price's.  Good supporting cast, too, with the great
comprimario Piero de Palma a stand-out as Prunier and Graziella Sciutti luxury casting as
Lisette.  I'm not really wild about the opera and have not listened to other recordings and so
cannot say that the Moffo's is "The Best."  But I don't think you can go wrong with that one.
You can audition the entire thing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFdijO0yTE

I've also read good reports about the "Love Couple" recording under Pappano.

A personal note about Moffo's Rondine.  I saw her in the part in San Antonio in 1971 (just 5
years after the recording was made) and she had some audible vocal problems.  I remember
an official with the opera, "But she sounds so beautiful on the recording!  What happened?"

MDW