Subject: Re: Cetra CD reissues. Some more.
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:28:30 -0400

Let me add a personal recollection re Gobbi.  I saw him as Falstaff at Covent Garden in 1974
and it was a memorable performance.  The voice was pretty much dried up - the top note at
the end of the "L'onore!" monologue was a raspy howl that was quickly abandoned - but so
much of the role was memorably sung and phrased, and the character was unforgettable.  I
will never forget the pompous confidence with which he picked up a large bouquet of flowers
in a vase in Alice's room, dropped it out the window, and replaced it in the vase with the
pathetic little bunch of daisies he had brought for her.  That performance is a treasured
memory for me.

Modify your settings: