Subject: Re: TANNHAUSER from MUNICH, live videocast today at 3:45 ET
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Jul 2017 00:49:54 -0400

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hahaha. I see what you are saying... Well, unlike recitals, he would have
> to abide by the director's vision and, depending on his imagination of
> Wolfram, we'll see what look turns out. :-)

And... thanks to the director who apparently had no stage vision for
Wolfram, his look turned out exactly as in recitals. Literally. An informal
no-shave look, casual clothing (which I actually like about him), all. As
if he and most others were told to come in their regular clothing for Acts
2 & 3. The production was awful -- static, full of cliches, often looked
like a high school project gone wrong (the names "Anja" and "Klaus"
engraved on tombs, and such). I don't understand how such an incredible
overture cannot "inspire" anything better than boring, endless pilate-like
repetitive movements. It was already a bad sign for what was to come, and
it was going from bad to worse.

Everything else was phenomenal though -- everyone in the cast, orchestra,
chorus, Petrenko's conducting. Vogt's voice is a size too small for
Tannhauser but his brilliant characterization and vocalism compensated for
the lack of volume (I almost got eyes teary remembering Bohta's phenomenal
last performance at the Met, as if he knew that it would be his swan song).
Harteros' Elizabeth was luminous, Gerhaher's gorgeous voice and insightful
interpretation made his Wolfram the best I've seen (along with Mattei's),
Pankratova's soprano Venus was flawless, and the bass Zeppenfeld, whom I've
seen before, was wonderful again. If it was a flop in staging, it triumphed
in music-making. I surely would not watch it again but would not hesitate a
second to get it in audio if it's ever issued on CD. Treasurable
performance.

Vesna