Subject: Re: Cetra CD reissues. Some more.
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Jul 2017 22:52:49 +0000

I think the first time I ever heard Taddei was on the Tosca with Price and di Stefano. I very much enjoyed his performance, preferring him to Gobbi. My favorite live performance Scarpia was Gabriel Bacquier. I think that vocally, McNeil is outstanding on the two Met DVD's. At times his voice sounds like a tidal wave coming towards you.  No doubt Gobbi was a great Scarpia, but I was never very fond of his voice. Though I have not heard it for a long time now, I thought the Tebaldi, Del Monaco, London Tosca was a superior recording to the Callas, Gobbi, di Stefano  on Angel. I was surprised that George London was such an outstanding Scarpia.