Subject: Re: Cetra CD reissues. Some more.
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Jul 2017 15:05:46 -0700

Re: the other thread on vocal registers and passagio, it always surprised me that, bring such a great singer otherwise, Gobbi seemed to have such a difficult time transitioning into head voice for those notes above E. Once in a while it would click into place and he'd get a good high note. Those top notes were clearly in the voice but somehow he had a very hard time getting them out well.

I think this is the reason many people praise his artistry but deprecate his voice. I personally think that, other than this one problem, it was a really splendid voice with a wonderful solidity, bite and range of color.

He even managed to work around the upper register issue quite successfully; I just think those top notes weren't what they should have been.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone