Subject: Tannhäuser?
From: Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Jul 2017 17:35:16 -0400

My thanks to those who kindly gave us the link to the Tannhaäuser live stream. Now if they could please explain the staging?  I tuned in late, but in time to see Venus embedded in mounds of flesh-colored plastic, with a few arms waving in traditional orgiastic fashion.  Is this meant to illustrate Debra Voigt's description of men craving anonymous sex with obese women?  I can even vaguely understand cloaking Tannhäuser with similar shredded fake skin (one does pick up lint).  But how has the Wartburg turned into some nightmare kurhaus, with white-coated men and dozens of nude-leotarded platinum ponytailed bodies doing Pilates behind poor Anya Harteros (one of my favorites) who is forced to wear a white caftan painted  with a naked pubescent girl's body on it?  It isn't shocking or evocative or sexy, it is...disgusting.  What am I missing here?