Subject: Re: Cetra CD reissues. Some more.
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Jul 2017 16:50:51 -0400

Max Paley wrote:

"With all great respect to Gobbi, Taddei is the sound I find myself always yearning for in a
Scarpia."

Interesting you should say that.  I learned "Tosca" on the Karajan recording with Price and
Taddei when I was in Junior High School, long before I ever heard the Callas/Gobbi/De Sabata
recording.  Like you, I have always had Taddei in my ears for that role, great though Gobbi is.
Taddei is every bit as characterful as Gobbi, but he sings more beautifully throughout, with a
much better top than that yell Gobbi used on anything above E.  And Taddei never sounds
hectoring, while Gobbi sometimes does.  (I think most of you know what I mean by
"hectoring" in reference to Gobbi.)

Of course, the Callas/De Sabata "Tosca" is one of the glories of the gramophone, and I would
put it first among all the choices.  But the Price/Karajan is a superb recording as well, not
least for Taddei's Scarpia (as well as the superb sound and imaginative production by John
Culshaw).

MDW