Subject: Re: a question about pelleas et melisande (one of many)
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Jul 2017 20:27:47 -0400

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 08:50:53 -0500, kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Along with two friends I watched a really fine performance on DVD last night, with
Stephane Degout, Natalie Dessay and Laurent Naouri from Vienna. At one point all three of
us said, "Whoa! Hold on there!" What we reacted to was the point where Pelleas and
Melisande are purportedly searching for her ring in a cave. Both seem genuinely involved in
the hunt. But, in an earlier scene, both are present when the ring was actually lost.
Melisande, for whatever obscure reason, has lied to her husband about the loss. Our
question: how does one explain the fact that both seem to really be looking for that ring in
a place that know know it wasn't lost?

I've got that DVD, just took a look at that scene, and I think what y'all saw as their being
"genuinely involved in the hunt", is actually them cautiously climbing the path down to the
grotto in the darkness mentioned in the text. When they actually get into the "grotto", the
moonlight comes out almost immediately, they see the peasants, and they do nothing that
looks hunting in the actual grotto.

Of course, Melisande would have been wise to follow Pelleas' advice, and tell Golaud where
she actually lost the ring, rather than a place she'd never even been, but wisdom isn't her
strong suit.