Subject: Re: Leontyne Price online?
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:42:46 -0700

I would be the first one to acknowledge and admire Leontyne Price's
glorious Aida although I must admit, though the lyric passages were
unequaled, in the heavy concertato's, her voice never carried or dominated
the ensembles the way Martina Arroyo could.  She (Arroyo) was a great
soprano who I never really appreciated when she was active.  Now I listen
to her recordings (Arroyo) and remember the many performances I heard and
kick myself - what an idiot I was not to appreciate just how good she was.
It was wonderful to have her at the same time as Price.  At her best, she
was Price's equal.  My main quibble with her was a lazy attack and less
then perfect rhythm.  How silly I was.  Youth- I'm much more forgiving in
my old age.  LOL.

Judging from old recordings, acoustic and electric and the third act
recorded in 1930 with Lauri-Volpi and De Luca, I would say that Elisabeth
Rethberg sang the role as well as Price did.  Her voice was also better
equalized and the top and pianissimo were as good.  As for size, who
knows.  It was a big voice, not like Ponselle or Milanov, but a big voice.
If the recorded evidence is worth anything and she did not have the
advantage of electronic manipulation and things were recorded in solid
takes, she was every bit Price's equal as Aida.  She entered the Met as
Aida in 1922 and exited as Aida in 1942, age 48.

As for Mr. Handelman, I don't know him personally but he is a hoot.  He is
actually very knowledgeable if curmudgeonly.  Like all of us, he has his
dislikes and his brick walls.

Donald