Subject: Re: Leontyne Price online?
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:27:22 -0400

Tom Ponti wrote:

"Another point, Price has often said that she considered herself an lyric soprano."

Actually, Price described her voice as a "juicy lyric," i.e., somewhat more substantial than a
basic lyric soprano.

I think arguments among the Size Queens (e.g., Handelman and Guitan) about how big
Price's voice was are a bit silly; her voice was quite big enough to put her roles across
satisfactorily.  I heard her as Aida and the two Leonoras, and her voice, while not huge, was
big enough to get the job done, in terms of size.  And what she lacked in heft in ensembles
she more than made up for in suppleness in the many lyric portions of these roles, which
bigger-voiced singers could not put across as well.

Leontyne Price was the world's leading Aida for more than 25 years.  I guess audiences,
critics and conductors in London, Vienna, Milan, New York and elsewhere were just
bamboozled by a vocal fraud.  What a pity they did not have sages like Mssrs. Handelman
and Guitan to set them straight!  (We have not yet had Mr. Guitan weigh in on this one but
no doubt we shall eventually.)

MDW