Subject: Re: Leontyne Price online?
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Jul 2017 22:24:46 +0000

I will never understand Handelman's seeming hatred for Leontyne Price. Overall, I doubt Anyone ever sang the role of Aida better than she did. IMHO, few came close. To say that she sang many of her roles like her rendition of Melancholy Baby, is just plain stupid, or worse. Tebaldi and Callas dropped the role in their mid thirties, for obvious reasons. Few other's beside Milanov and Price sang Aida into their late forties or early fifties, as far as I know. By the way, I love Leontyne's rendition of Melancholy Baby, and the rest of that album. Another point, Price has often said that she considered herself an lyric soprano. To my ears, having seen her often live, she was a lyric spinto