Subject: Re: Question re Blu-ray CDs
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Jul 2017 17:54:49 -0400

Many new recordings and new  and mostly better remasterings of older
material are being released on Blu-ray audio, which makes it a very
exciting format. Super Audio CD (SACD), a high resolution format which is
usually pronounced dead at most audio review sites has been enjoying the
longest funeral ever, at least for classical recordings, with new titles
added every week. Most of these releases offer audible improvements over
their earlier CD versions. This may be due to the format's higher
resolution together with newer and better mastering techniques and skills.

I spent an enjoyable afternoon listening to a friend's Cornwall IIIs a few
months ago. I was curious about the horn midrange driver and how it would
handle vocal recordings (the plentiful bass from those 15" woofers is a
given). The speakers made an excellent presentation in opera, symphonic,
chamber and pop. As per the owner, a nice thing about the Cornwall series
(they have been around since 1959!) is that there are relatively few
radical improvements from one edition to the next.

So I would say that you are pretty much ready for Blu-ray audio and video,
as long as your receiver has HDMI inputs. If that's not the case, you could
look into players with good digital-to-analog conversion through their
analog outputs, such as
OPPO and Pioneer Elite players. Both of these lines also support SACD,
which I would strongly recommend to opera listeners.

Enjoy!

Luis