Subject: Re: Blu-ray, hi-rez, etc.
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Jul 2017 14:40:28 -0700

The brand new Oppos are the UDP-205 audiophile edition, and the UDP-203 4K.
https://www.oppodigital.com  It's the latter that you refer to. A major
difference between the two is improved sound quality. Unfortunately, I have
not either, and cannot offer an informed opinion as to the differences.

Video, alas, is not my area of expertise. Audiophiles in general gravitate
toward Oppo because they pack so many formats into one package. It is also
possible to feed hi-rez audio from this player to an external DAC using
html. (I don't know the details of how to do this, but I will eventually
learn). But if one is looking for Blu-ray only, rather than a multi-format
player that can handle multiple formats (CD, SACD, computer audio,
streaming, even DVD-A), I'm sure there are tons of options. Just be sure to
check the sound quality before buying.

There are, of course, any number of online reviewing sites that cover
Blu-ray players. Perhaps you can pop this question in some of those. I'd
also suggest checking out Sound & Vision, one of Stereophile's sister
publications, because its video reviewers care about sound quality.

Hope this helps,
jason

---
Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA