Subject: A HEADS UP -- Warner's new Callas LIVE remastered box
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 7 Jul 2017 00:45:24 -0400

Hi, Everybody:
    I just received an email from a friend of mine which shows an advertisement from
Warners of a new wide red box called CALLAS LIVE AND REMASTERED.  It contains a lot of
the operas she never recorded commercially.  Among the items are the 1949 NABUCCO, the
1950 PARSIFAL, the 1951 AIDA, the 1952 MACBETH, the 1952 NORMA, the 1953 MEDEA, the
1954 ALCESTE, the 1954 VESTALE, the 1955 ANDREA CHENIER, the 1955 or 1957
SONNAMBULA, ther 1957 IPHEGINE EN TAURIDE, the 1957 ANNA BOLENA, the 1958
TRAVIATA, ther 1960 POLIUTO, and the 1964 TOSCA.  I think these are all of them.
    Am going to weigh in on this personally.  I'm a little skeptical as to how some of these
are going to sound, even with whatever "remastering" has been done.  I've yet to encounter
a decent sounding edition of the Nabucco, Vestale, Macbeth, or the Andrea Chenier.  I'd
imagine that the Anna Bolena, Traviata, Poliuto, and Tosca would be listenable, perhaps
even an improvement over what we've heard thus far.
    Just wanted to let you know that this is coming.  Some of you may already be aware,
others not.  I'm just conveying this information.
    I will probably wait to hear what the reviews are from those here (and other critics)
before I spend any money.  But I admit to being somewhat skeptical, especially with respect
to those operas to which I alluded to in my second paragraph.
    I wonder if Amazon has a preview entry for this new box.