Subject: Re: Emmy Bettendorf sings Wagner
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Jul 2017 18:03:59 -0500

Just a few details.  Kutsch-Riemens gives Bettendorf's dates as 16 July 1895
and 20 October 1963, which agrees with the article on Bettendorf in The
Record Collector journal (Vol. 17 nos. 7-8, pp. 149-168).  Early in her
career, she sang at the Vienna Court Opera (Agathe in Der Freischutz),
followed by several years at the Berlin Staatsoper, many appearances around
Germany, and frequent radio broadcasts.  She is quoted in the article as
having refused both for herself and her daughter demands to join the Nazi
party, which refusal kept her from obtaining singing engagements other than
singing for soldiers at various points on the eastern front.  The article
includes a discography that lists 243 recordings.  The sole Bettendorf
record I have, a lilting "Barcarolle" (Waldteufel) with orchestra and chorus
(discography nos. 22 and 23), supports the reference to her "beautiful
voice" and "broad repertoire."  I'll be happy to copy the article for anyone
who wants it.