Subject: Re: Cetra CD reissues?
From: George Rios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Jul 2017 11:02:05 -0400

I've found Cetra CD remasterings on Warner/Fonit seem to have gone back to the original
tapes or at least very good LP pressings and I've found most of them to be very good to
excellent. But the original Cetra label was never noted for its sonics, so the sound quality
can vary.  Some that I can vouch for are:

BOHEME  Carteri, Tagliavini, Taddei, Santini cond.
RIGOLETTO  Taddei, Pagliughi, Tagliavini, Questa cond.
OTELLO  Guichandut, Broggini, Taddei, Capuana cond.
IL SEGRETO DI SUSANNA  Rizzieri, Valdengo, Questa cond.

The FALSTAFF with Taddei, Carteri, Pagliughi, Rossi cond. is something of a heartbreaker.
It seems the original recording was never very good.  Depending on your tolerance it's
listenable but sonically a letdown, especially regrettable since the performance itself is
really marvelous.

Likewise the GUGLIELMO TELL with Taddei, Carteri, Filippeschi, Rossi cond. is a mostly fine
performance, although Filippeschi is appalling. But the sound is poor and sometimes
afflicted with a ghastly wow.  Avoid this one.

Of course, all of these sound leagues better than those horrifying "rechanneled for stereo"
LP issues on Everest/Cetra from the 60s.  I have always wondered who was the idiot
responsible for those monstrosities.