Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: John Rahbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:22:17 -0400

This is actually an interesting subject, and I'm hoping to discuss the
subject matter without getting sucked into reactions over disagreements or
misunderstandings.
 Competent teachers recognize those formants in a well trained  operatic
voice, and singers learn to listen to them and to shape their vocal  tracts
accordingly to achieve them. They may not know the names of these  formants,
but they know when they are present. They can actually  be picked up and
recorded on a graph. Broadway singers in general tap  into fewer formants
because one, they generally sing in a more narrow range  closer to their speaking
voices, and two, they don't need as much volume or can  use a microphone.
There are always a few exceptions to this. Technically, a  sound without these
upper formants does not cut as well through heavy  orchestration.
Artistically, different art forms have different vocal  requirements and is a matter
of taste.
 There are five formants used by singers, F1, F2, F3, F4 and F5.   In
addition to utilizing F1 and F2, opera singers must coordinate F3, F4,  and F5.
this 3,4,5 cluster is known as the singer's formant, and this is  what
creates a voice able to fill an opera house without a microphone and cut  through
heavy orchestration.
 However there is not a one size fits all for opera singers, and  different
singers are able to tune their formants differently. There is a  wonderful
book called Resonance in Singing by Donald Miller that includes  softwear
that you can use to read your own formants on a graph on your lap top.  The
book explains how Pavarotti and Domingo tuned their formants differently,  and
even have graphs that have recorded the differences, and you can see the
graphs compared in the book.
 An opera singer learns to listen for these resonances, They have many
names, upper and lower resonance, squillo, forward focus, mid focus, singing in
 the masque, nasal resonance, chiaroscuro, head vibration, chest vibration,
 head resonance, chest resonance, The different names teachers use are
endless, but the results are the same, and are detected by the ear, and the
ear guides the mechanics. In short, they listen to the various resonances,
bring out the ones that worked best for them, and figure out what they were
doing to achieve them. Teachers with strong skills are able to use  exercises
that create these resonances more easily. Teachers with lesser skills,  but
have a good ear are at least able to say, yes that's it, no that isn't,
and the student is able to remember and figure out on their own how they  are
producing them. Many singers have achieved this intuitively without  knowing
the names of the formants or how they work scientifically. They just  make
the sound more resonant, and know when it is and when it isn't. If the
singer is unable to recognize the formants by ear, all the mechanics  and  vocal
instruction in the world will not help them.
 John Rahbeck

In a message dated 7/4/2017 7:36:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,