Subject: Re: Emmy Bettendorf sings Wagner
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Jul 2017 22:15:27 -0500

I find the Ballad of Senta to be the more impressive of the two, though the Lohengrin Scene is very fine.  Emmy Bettendorf certainly had the vocal goods to deliver, even when allows for the sonic quality of the recording.  What happened to her?  Did she ever sing in the U.S.?

Obviously, she was singing prior to Flagstad.   Was she a Leider contemporary?  Am not certain as to the years of her career.  I've heard her before, but not too often.  Did she make many commercial recordings?   One thing is for sure:  she certainly has far less name recognition than Fremstad/Gadski/Leider/Flagstad/Traubel/Varnay/Nilsson.

       NO, there is no one like this singing with a voice like this today   --------  for sure.