Subject: Re: Remembering Beverly Sills on 10th Death Anniversary
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Jul 2017 18:36:25 -0400

Beautiful rendition. Also, notice how she avoids any stock gesticulating - which takes a
good deal of poise and self-awareness and control. Many other singers would more easily
do all sorts of meaningless hand gestures. ;-)

Not to digress from Bubbles, but as long as we're on this song - one of the very greatest
songs in the Great American Songbook, IMO - anyone who has not heard the original
arrangement from the actual show, Kern's "Very Warm For May" (as unearthed by the
late great John McGlinn in the 1990's), really should. It's quite the operatic experience,
lol. After a lovely soft intro by the strings, we hear a long, extended multi-section verse
(just as in "You Are Love" from Showboat, but much longer and grander), then the
familiar melody sung by a soprano with a beautiful baritone counterpoint underneath,
and then a repeat of the refrain sung by a richly-arranged chorus and 4 soloists,
including a soprano descant that rises to a bravura high D at the end of the bridge,
holding over into the final A section. (That part gives me wonderful chills every time...)

Stunning. (And I literally was stunned when I first heard this. It was already one of my
favorite songs - this just sealed the deal, lol.) And for anyone who thinks they don't like
musicals, and who doesn't come away from this simply in love with this arrangement -
well, I dare you. ;-)

Studio version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUNQy0uHUvs

Live version in concert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf80ntbCLCc

Had this version been rediscovered before Sills had retired from singing, it would have
been heaven to hear her do it.