Subject: Singers taking multiple roles in operas
From: Hans Christian Hoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 Jul 2017 16:55:00 +0200

Pimen and Boris appear together on stage stage, but Boris utters only
one sentence as a reply to Pimens request for  permission to speak
(sing). This does not stand in the way of the same singer doing both
Pimen and Boris in the same complete recording, as did Christoff. It
should also be possible for the same singer to take on the part of
Rangoni as well, but I do not know if this has ever been done. I know
that Kim Borg recorded Boris, Pimen and Rangoni in different recordings;
if he ever sang Varlaam I do not know.

Then this is possibly the place to mention the (probably apocryphic)
story of Caruso singing the "vecchio cimarra" aria for an ailing basso.

Yours

Hans