Subject: Re: Die Gezeichneten
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Jul 2017 04:23:58 -0400

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 04:17:15 +0000, ekaterina usilova <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>Frank,
>Have you watched this performance? What did you think? I've only watched a
couple of small episodes so far...
>Best,
>Katya

It was a Warlikowski production and mice are back! This opera has been staged
several times around Europe and seems to be returning to prominence it had in
the 1920s. The staging pros and cons in the audience seemed to be trying to
outshout each other at the end.
When I first saw it in Amsterdam in 2009, I spoke with a member of the chorus at
the "after" party. That production had chorus members in frequent overt erotic
embrace with their counterparts and I wondered if any of that continued outside
the theater. He smiled but said that Amsterdam is somewhat of a "small town" and
everybody knew everybody. No hanky-panky.
The next opera opening, last night's Die Frau, is also a Warlikowski production.
Frank Cadenhead