Subject: Re: Gay Pride Operas
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Jun 2017 20:06:03 -0400

In what way do you differ?  Tell me how EUGENE ONEGIN, for example,
one of the operas first mentioned as exhibiting gay pride, actually does
so. Liberated women, whatever they have achieved in so many areas, have
little   that I can see to do with the topic.  Have you a specific opera in
mind
in which two women have found a congenial sexual relationship, and sing
about how proud it makes them?   If that's not what gay pride means as a
subject for operatic treatment, then what does it mean?  Is it a boast, a
matter of being proud to say that examples exist of same sex couples who
could have, would have, or should have shared a bed in stories past and
present?
When does that ever prove to be what the stories are about?

dtmk