Subject: Re: Gay Pride Operas
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Jun 2017 16:37:13 -0400

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:03:22 -0400, Frank Hartin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>New York's reconstituted NYC Opera has promised on gay-themed opera each
season in June.  Next summer, Brokeback Mountain.

I was at the first performance in Madrid and found it strong and direct. I would
recommend it for New Yorkers. Wuorinen made a particular effort to make his
"difficult" music work for the drama and he succeeded. Angels in America was
debuted in Paris in 2004 and it was a mystery to me that, after such a successful
debut, it would have to wait as long to be seen in NY.  Another I liked in Paris was
Henze's "The Bassarids" with an English libretto by W. H. Auden and Chester
Kallman.

It is interesting that a basically conservative art form like opera is now, only in
recent years, free from the need to equivocate about these themes. For much of
my life love was "between a man and a woman" and anything else was hidden or
hinted at. The Greeks were open about it but then, for a few thousand years, these
themes were hidden from public view.

Frank Cadenhead