Subject: Re: Remembering Anna Moffo
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Jun 2017 23:08:02 -0500

Many thanks for sharing this.  I loved Anna Moffo.  I was only an impressionable sixteen year old just learning about opera when I saw her on The Voice of Firestone.  I think she was singing the Act I Traviata finale (in which she took the high E flat at the end).  I was blown away by her voice and by her beauty.  I came to think of her as the Elizabeth Taylor of opera.  I received her RCA Traviata for my 17th birthday and played it to death.  Then came her "beige" album which had arias from Lakme, Turandot (LIu's arias), Semiramide, Faust and I don't remember what else.  She was on television a lot (Jack Paar, Dean Martin, etc) and I never missed those shows when I knew she was going to appear.  She had done for EMI a superb Mozart recital as well as a program of bel canto arias (Sonnambula, Puritani, Lucia, I believe) and I loved them all.  I recall her trying for a couple of top F's on that recording (which weren't too successful), but I loved her anyway.   The final years were very sad for her.  Her voice collapsed, her husband died, and she herself got sick.  When she died, I really felt badly.  She was 72 and should have lived longer.  But what a bright light she was, if only for less than a decade.