Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Jun 2017 02:51:55 -0400

We are in Europe for our summer vacation and have been talking with opera
fans about the JK performance.  Results have been dour.  Most folks we
talked to thought he failed his test, that his voice was not up to the task
and that this is not his role.

Reviews (some of which we were told about because they were in German)
appear to be equally mixed / unkind.  One offered the hope JK would not
make this role a permanent one in his rep because his voice is just not
there for it.

Another thought that the role exposed JK as a pretty face but not a great
actor and certainly not an Otello for the ages.

Finally, a review we did read--in English--which gave the production three
stars out of five.  One reason was JK, who played the Moor as Hamlet rather
than as Otello.

Of course, individual opinions do vary and fans will invariably find his
performance extraordinary.  It's just one of those things.  But at least
from this part of Europe, not everyone is as impressed as others.