Subject: Re: Kaufman in Otello… NY Times:
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Jun 2017 23:42:44 -0500

I have to validate Mr. Camner's comments as they relate to MY feelings.   There have been many great interpreters of operatic and orchestral music who are lovingly remembered, but VERY few ever had the component of controversy in their careers.  It's precisely THOSE artists who became (in James Cagney's words from the great film "White Heat" 'TOP OF THE WORLD, MA!"   Well, for better or worse, Jonas Kaufmann is the personification of being an opera star "at the top of the world".  He's got a highly unique and (to me) a great voice that is able to encompass just about anything short of bel canto; he's surely the physically attractive tenor since Franco Corelli; he's acquired the reputation for cancellations which cause his fans great anguish; he's become so elusive that any appearance of his becomes an automatic sell-out.   Arturo Toscanini generated controversy by the nature of his conducting, his private life, his much publicized political loyalties to the U.S. and it's allies during World War II, and his well known temper.  Maria Callas not only generated controversy - she stood at the storm center of controversy and became an A list celebrity.   Anna Netrebko also generates controversy, loved by some, despised by others - but she is a star, as Kaufmann is and Callas was.  Enrico Caruso was known by everyone in the United States during his lifetime by nature of his voice, of course, but by his personality, his occasional contretemps that made the papers, etc.

Callas and Netrebko were/are REAL divas and total "prima donnas" in every sense of the word.   Mr. Kaufmann is also not without his detractors, and like Callas and Netrebko, the controversy that accompanies the brick bats thrown by detractors only makes them bigger and bigger.  It's what makes the difference between a great singer and a superstar icon.   There are very few such people in this world who stand where they stand.   If they have their detractors, it's fine.  Great artists have been known to create controversy.  Let's think of people like Toscanini, Callas, Caruso, Orson Welles,  Tennessee Williams, Eugene O'Neill, Salvatore Dali, Pablo Picasso, Bruno Walter, Kirsten Flagstad, Lauritz Melchior, Pablo Casals, etc.  Those are names not likely to be forgotten fifty or a hundred years from now.  All had their detractors, some generated disdain ---------------- and it made no difference.  They were WHO they were.

      These are only my feelings, but I think Mr. Camner has a point ------- world-beater artists are very rare.